H-Town Sports

Houston Sports Blog - Real sports cities have TWO Conference USA teams

Friday, December 08, 2006

Accountability Is Waaaaaaay Overrated at the Chronicle

After "breaking" yesterday's story that the 'Stros had called a press conference to announce the acquisition of Jon Garland, Jose de Jesus Ortiz has reneged in a big way:

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/4387786.html

It bugs the hell out of me that the town's only major newspaper was reporting that the deal was done when it clearly wasn't. In fact, the talk now is that the deal may be dead entirely. In that vein, Richard Justice confirmed that the proposed trade was indeed Hirsh, Buchholz, and Taveras for Garland:

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/justice/4387865.html

As I posted yesterday, that's a helluva lot to give up for Garland. If T-Poo doesn't believe that Hirsh or Buchholz will ever be more than a bottom-of-the-rotation arm, then make the deal. But we've been led to believe that Hirsh and/or Buchholz are the future studs of the big squad. And if the deal means that Andy Pettitte heads to New York, I'm fervently against it. I think Pettitte is better than Garland, and you'd better believe that any prayer of The Katy Rocket returning goes up in smoke if his buddy Lefty isn't at Union Station.

1 Comments:

Blogger Scott said...

Ortiz is the worst beat writer I've seen in the bigs. Between Ortiz and Justice, I feel bad for my grill when I use the Sports page to start my BBQ.

Fri Dec 08, 10:46:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home