H-Town Sports

Houston Sports Blog - Real sports cities have TWO Conference USA teams

Monday, November 27, 2006

Worst Game of the Season

Every time I think the Texans have reached their nadir, they surprise and horrify me anew. Yesterday's abomination at the Meadowlands was quite simply the worst game I have seen the Texans play all season, and it might have been the worst game they've ever played. Although words can't describe the depth of their putrid performance, I'll give it a try:

1. The Texans accumulated a whopping 25 yards rushing. On 14 carries. Over the course of sixty minutes. At a rate of 1.8 yards per carry. Enough said.

a. Well, not quite enough said. How do you go from 188 yards one week to 25 yards the next? Can anyone tell me? What the hell happened?

2. David Carr's line=39-54, 321 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT. I feel confident saying that anyone who watched the game would agree with me that it was least impressive 300+ yard performance ever seen. The vast majority of those stats (including the TD pass) were posted when the game was well out of reach. Stats are stats, but these are really misleading.

a. The interception was terrible. Just a horrible decision, and a nauseating throw. What's worse, it occurred when the Texans really needed a big play to stay in the game.

b. I can't believe I'm saying this, but I found myself nodding when reading Scott's dissection of Carr this morning. It physically pained me to type that last line.

c. Carr dumps off to his safety options way too quickly and way too frequently. I know that he's been shellacked over the course of his career, but man...give the WRs time to get open.

d. I'm not jumping off D. Carr's bandwagon just yet, but I have to admit that his inability to make a big play when he has All-Pro caliber WRs is troubling me.

3. Andre Johnson (10 catches for 98 yards and a TD) and Eric Moulds (10 catches for 79 yards) had solid days, but neither had a game-changing play. For the life of me, however, I don't understand why the Texans don't take more shots down the field with those two guys. The vast majority of their catches came on short routes and quick slants.

a. Andre dropped one pass that actually made me gag on my beer and shake my fist at God.

4. DeMeco Ryans had another 14 tackles. He'd better get some Pro Bowl consideration.

5. Morlon Greenwood had another nice game with 9 tackles. He hasn't been able to string strong games together with any consistency, but he occasionally justifies the contract Casserly gave him.

6. The secondary's play defies description, so I might have to make words up to summarize their play. Craptastic? Patheterrible?

a. Petey Faggins was awful yesterday, and the Jets picked on him like they watched tape of his tussle with Lee Evans from the week before.

b. Dunta Robinson has gone from stalwart to liability. There, I said it. I hate myself for writing that.

c. Glenn Earl and C.C. Brown HAVE to be the two worst starting safeties in the NFL. There isn't anyone who's even close to as bad as they are.

d. I don't envision a scenario where the Texans don't take the best DB on the board come April. On a team with many weaknesses, the secondary is easily the most glaring.

7. Chad Stanley continues to make me question his inclusion on the Texans roster. His fumble yesterday made me reach for the Drano to chug.

8. As many who read this space know, I'm often criticized for being too optimistic about the Texans. I always manage to find some good in each game. Well, yesterday's game finally did it. I am officially distraught for the first time all season. Even last year's 2-14 debacle didn't beat me down like the last two weeks have. Combined with the Horns losing to That Team That Has Lassie As A Mascot on Friday, this was the worst football weekend of my life. I am a broken man.

9. I really hope Kubiak keeps the Texans within ten points of Oakland on Sunday.

1 Comments:

Blogger Scott said...

I can envision a scenario where Houston doesn't take a DB with their top pick in the 2007 draft - what if they have a top three pick (again)? How can you pass on Quinn, Peterson, Slaton, etc. when your offense is this punchless?

I agree that the secondary is in shambles, but let's use our free agency money there. Some of the guys available: Nate Clements, Asante Samuel, Deon Grant and Michael Lewis. Sign two of those four and play them along side Dunta and Glenn Earl, and I think you'll be significantly improved. I don't think you can go into 2007 with Carr & Lundy in the backfield.

Mon Nov 27, 06:09:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home