H-Town Sports

Houston Sports Blog - Real sports cities have TWO Conference USA teams

Tuesday, December 19, 2006

David Carr Is Still Smilin'

It's nice to see that the embattled Texans QB has some semblance of perspective about the true spirit of the holiday season. Carr's right. There are more important things in life than football. Sometimes I forget that. Actually, I seem to forget it every Sunday from September to early January at approximately noon CST. As such, I appreciate ol' D.C. yanking me back into reality.

At the same time, it's fairly infuriating that your franchise QB answers questions about his abysmal play with gems like this:

"Don't let what the Texans are doing, what I'm doing, ruin your Christmas. That's the message I want to send out." [Editor's Note: Well said, Dave. I'll make sure not to drop that toaster in my bathtub on Christmas Eve after the Colts put 50 on the scoreboard, and I am left to wonder how I can be so galactically stupid as to keep renewing my season tickets when the team has made virtually no progress in five years. Yeah, that definitely won't ruin my Christmas. Tra-la-la.]

"That's one of the reasons I do have a smile on my face." [Editor's Note: Newsflash, dude. You're 4-10. You're about to be 4-11. Try to contain your joy.]

"Show up for the Indy game — boo, cheer, whatever you want to do. But at the end of the game, hopefully, we'll put a smile on your face because we're going to play some aggressive football. We're going to play loose, with a smile on our face." [Editor's Note: Whole lot of smiling for someone who's 4-10 this season and hasn't ever won more than seven games in his five years here. And since when did dumping off to the running back on all twelve (12) passing plays become "aggressive football?" Sorry--I'm losing perspective again.]

"I'll have the best holiday ever because I have so many things to be thankful for. We've had a rough stretch these five years. This season hasn't gone the way we wanted it to. But I still have my family, my friends, my boys, my wife. And nothing can take that away, so I'm going to smile." [Editor's Note: Yeah, these last five years (a/k/a the entire life of the franchise) sure have been rough. But I appreciate your perspective about the family. I'll remember that when I'm writing another check in a few months for the privilege of watching you prance around Reliant next year. Sweet Jebus...my eyes are bleeding.]

Merry Christmas to all, and to all a smooth forty point loss on Sunday!

4 Comments:

Blogger Scott said...

The Irish people had a "rough stretch" from 1846-1850, but at least they had their families.

I wish Dave would mix in a TD pass sometime this trimester. That would make me smile.

Tue Dec 19, 10:40:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not too often you can work a Potato Famine reference into a sports discussion. Nice work, and my ancestors thank you for using this platform to draw attention to their plight.

Tue Dec 19, 10:55:00 AM  
Blogger Scott said...

How about the organization comps the season finale's ticket fees if they lose to the Browns?

Tue Dec 19, 11:18:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As much as I'd like to see that happen and that Bob McNair is classy enough to do it, I think we're more likely to see McNair order a hit on Casserly and/or Capers. That'd be a better Christmas present anyway.

Tue Dec 19, 12:38:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home