H-Town Sports

Houston Sports Blog - Real sports cities have TWO Conference USA teams

Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Zuh?

Normally, the phrase "major announcement" after the All-Star Break indicates that a huge roster move has been made. When Scott called to alert me of said "major announcement," I was running 'round my office with glee. Who would it be? Miguel Tejada? Carl Crawford? Dontrelle Willis?

You'll notice I never excitedly mentioned Aubrey Huff. He's not exactly the type of guy you get excited about. Sure, he's been mentioned as a possible deadline acquisition for several teams for the past several years, but he's not someone you'd consider a difference-maker. Certainly not someone who qualifies as a "major announcement." Certainly not someone the Astros, thick with Lamb and Ensberg at 3B, would EVER think of acquiring.

Well, the 'Stros PR Department didn't consult with me before trumpeting the gravity of today's press conference. The final analysis:

1. Astros acquire Aubrey Huff and cash for P Mitch Talbot (AA) and SS Ben Zobrist(AA).
2. Jason Lane sent down to Round Rock (AAA).
3. Super Joe McEwing designated for assignment.

Yeah, that's major alright. A major mistake. T-Poo just traded away Adam Everett's more-than-competent replacement for another guy that plays 1B, 3B, and some OF. Huff has certainly been on a tear with the bat lately, but I don't get why you trade away an up-and-comer in a premium position of dire need (to say nothing of a quality arm in Talbot) for a guy that plays a position at which you're already stocked. It's a ridiculously short-sighted attempt at bolstering the offense, made at the expense of gutting your future. Frankly, many people who follow the Astros minor league system believe that Zobrist should be starting over Everett on the big club RIGHT NOW. Yet you trade him away and allow Everett to continue to hit .230. Great move. Bottom Line: I wouldn't have made this move in fantasy baseball after drinking a case of Schlitz if Aubrey Huff was my brother.

2 Comments:

Blogger Scott said...

I could not agree more. Terrible, reactionary move that is extremely short-sighted from the Astros perspective. Don't forget that Gerry Hunsicked helped the Rays orchestrate this move, and he was GM when Zobrist and Talbot were brought into the fold. Purpura even sounded pathetic trying to hype this deal during the press conference.

Wed Jul 12, 11:09:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

As I sit here, my morning ruined, I'm trying to figure out the logic behind this deal. The only thing I can think of is that the 'Stros aren't done dealing yet. It makes no sense to have Lamb, Huff, and Ensberg on the roster. Maybe another move involving Ensberg? Or perhaps he'll just go on the DL to rest his ailing shoulder. Man...I think Purpura just gave me an ulcer.

Wed Jul 12, 11:12:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home