H-Town Sports

Houston Sports Blog - Real sports cities have TWO Conference USA teams

Thursday, June 29, 2006

Now, THAT'S a Draft!

After listening to the usual talk radio screaming in the wake of last night's NBA Draft, I have realized that Scott and I must be the only guys who absolutely LOVE what the Rockets did last night. Here's the final tally:

Rockets Acquire
F Shane Battier (10.1 PPG, 5.3 RPG, 1.7 APG, 48.8% FGP, 39.4% 3FGP last season)

Grizzlies Acquire
F Rudy Gay (taken 8th overall by the Rockets)
F Stromile Swift (regrettably signed as a free agent last summer)

Battier instantly makes the Rockets markedly better. He is a top-notch defender and a great third offensive option. Most importantly, he's shown that he's capable of hitting the three. The bottom line is that Dawson, Van Gundy & Co. realize that they have a window of another two to four years to make a title run with T-Mac and Yao. Winning immediately, not waiting for a rookie to develop, is the key. Battier gives the Rockets the best chance to do that.

For all the fans lamenting the loss of Rudy Gay, I ask that you take some time to watch his play at UConn last season. The guy is a complete and total dog. Amazing talent to be sure, but he has zero heart, hustle, and/or grit. I would rather gouge my eyes out than deal with him on my team for the next ten years. As I said in my comment to Scott's mock draft yesterday, I'll eat my hat if Gay turns out to be anything but an enormous bust.

For all the fans lamenting the loss of Stromile Swift, I ask that you substitute his name in place of Rudy Gay's in the previous paragraph.

It's a banner day, Rockets Nation. We subtracted two dogs and added a gamer. Get excited about the 2006-2007 NBA season; the Rockets just got a whole lot better.

2 Comments:

Blogger Scott said...

I could not agree more, though the thought of gouging my eye out with a gauge, be it of the 'rain' or the 'tire' variety, is not something about which I prefer to think.

I wish Isiah Thomas or Pat Williams was the GM of the Grizz. I'm nervous because the Rockets seem to have gotten over on The Logo. Is that possible?

If your analysis of basketball stems from your marathon sessions of "NBA Street 2K7", then you hate this trade for the Rockets. And by the way, you're a moron. If your analysis of basketball comes from watching as many games as your life allows and reading as much about hoops as the 'net and the print media can provide, then you love this trade.

Thu Jun 29, 11:36:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Ted, you're *this* close to being removed as a contributor to H-Town Sports. Keep your love of the Spurs, Cokeboys, and Cubs to yourself. Compare the Rockets to France again and I'll end you.

Thu Jun 29, 12:52:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home