H-Town Sports

Houston Sports Blog - Real sports cities have TWO Conference USA teams

Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Revisiting our Preseason MLB Predictions

Since we're almost at the halfway point, let's revisit the predictions made by Tim and me prior to the first pitch of baseball's regular season:

Tim:
1. Cards 89-73
2. 'Stros 87-75
3. Brewers 80-82
4. Cubs 75-87
5. Reds 74-88
6. Pirates 73-89

Good call on the Pirates (really out on a limb), but Tim appears to have undersold the Reds and oversold the Cubs. Not to mention the references such as "the massive stroke I suffered after reading Scott's prediction that the Reds will finish at .500" and "There's simply no way you just called 81 wins for the Reds. Perhaps you should lay off huffing the Elmer's."

The Astros have some serious work in front of them if they are to ever see twelve games over .500, the number which Tim picked for them. Similarly, barring an undefeated second half, Atlanta's hopes in the NL East do not look too promising, but the Padres continue to look reasonably safe in the NL West. Timmy had the AL pegged nicely, except that Cleveland's drop makes them unlikely to land the wildcard berth.

Scott:
1. St. Louis 90-72
2. Milwaukee 84-78
3. Cincinnati 81-81
4. Houston 80-82
5. Chicago 77-85
6. Pittsburgh 71-91

I also gave the Cubs a little bit too much credit, which is strange considering the amount of deep-seated hatred that I hold for their organization as a whole. For the most part, though, everything else is pretty much on course with regard to the Central. The Cards are even more vulnerable than I had anticipated, and I now think that 87 wins will take the Central division title.

My league-wide picks are much more askew. My NL Champion Phillies are stinking up the joint, making a World Series berth a bit of a long shot, and I also had the Braves winning the Wildcard. My world champion Angels have seemingly aged a decade or two overnight, but they do have a stockpile of young talent and an owner with extremely deep pockets, so it's not too late for them to make a run.

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

The only predictions I'll back off of at this point are the Braves in the NL East and the Indians in the WC. Give the Mets the NL East (although I think the Phillies will still make it interesting) and the AL WC to the Tigers.

The Reds' collapse is as inevitable as Gallo's recall from Round Rock. If the Cards weren't losing as much as the 'Stros right now, the NL Central race would be over.

Wed Jun 28, 09:35:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I will draft my annual Texans season prediction post shortly, Teodoro, but rest assured that I have learned my lesson from last year's debacle. No 8-8 for the Good Guys this year. I'm calling 16-0.

Wed Jun 28, 03:14:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home