H-Town Sports

Houston Sports Blog - Real sports cities have TWO Conference USA teams

Tuesday, June 27, 2006

At Least Scrap Iron Hasn't Lost His Sense of Humor...

After getting tossed for arguing Lance Berkman's ridiculous ejection last night, the Chronicle reports that Phil Garner uttered this gem when asked about throwing a chair from the dugout:

"I got thrown out, and that chair had been bothering me the whole game," Garner said after his first game in Detroit since the Tigers fired him as manager after losing the first six games of the 2002 season. "And I finally had a chance to throw it out of the dugout."

I totally know what he means. I hate chairs. And I'd sure as hell be focused on witty quips instead of figuring out a way to poison everyone in my bullpen. But that's just level-headed guys like me and Scrap Iron. The rest of Astros Nation might feel differently.

Query for the readers: What is the ideal Astros rotation? I'd second the idea Kentucky Scott proposed yesterday (yes, we spend an abnormally large amount of time trying to solve the Astros' problems, even outside of this forum)--Oswalt, Pettitte, Clemens, Buchholz, and Nieve. Throw Wandy in the bullpen and hope his eephus pitches get a few guys out in the seventh, and try to reshape Backe into a two-inning guy. Then, if T-Poo was so inclined, he could, you know, poison the rest of the bullpen with some bad Chinese food. Or some bad ham. Really, the possibilities are endless.

2 Comments:

Blogger Scott said...

Am I the only one who really thinks Garner stinks at arguing calls? I know he's got this Harley Davidson deal, speaks with a thick Texas drawl and sports a extremely macho mustache, but I just don't buy his pseudo-intensity during his occasional tirade on the field.

By the way, Berkman was out. I think he knew that and just got tossed to prevent himself from being subjected from the torture of watching Wandy & Friends being fed to the Tigers any longer.

Tue Jun 27, 09:39:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I thought the replays showed Berkman was out, but I think he was just pissed about grounding out. He threw his helmet in frustration at himself, not in protest of the call. I think Bucknor overreacted.

Tue Jun 27, 09:56:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home