H-Town Sports

Houston Sports Blog - Real sports cities have TWO Conference USA teams

Thursday, June 22, 2006

Mock Draft Mania - Who will the Rockets Take at #8?

Before I start, does anyone else think that Chuck Hayes can become to the Rockets what Udonis Haslem has become to the Heat?

NBADraft.net - Randy Foye
Real GM - Brandon Roy
Chad Ford (ESPN - subscription required) - J. J. Redick
Draft Express - Randy Foye
Fanball - J. J. Redick
SI.com - Adam Morrison
About.com - J. J. Redick
Collegehoops.net - J. J. Redick
Inside Hoops - Marcus Williams
Hoops Hype - Randy Foye

We'll revisit these mock drafts just prior to the draft and see how/if they change.

Several comments about the potential for the Rockets to trade their #8 pick to New Orleans in return for the #12 and #15 picks. I'm not sure I'd do that if I'm Houston. Randy Foye, Marcus Williams, Rudy Gay, Ronnie Brewer, Rodney Carney, Adam Morrison, J. J. Redick...without question, one of these guys will be available to the Rockets at #8, but there is a decent chance that none of these guys would be available at #12. I don't think that the Rockets would be smart to take a chance on missing all of these guys, even if you add another first round pick in the process. I do like Michigan State's Maurice Ager, who would be more appropriately picked in the #12 - #15 range than at #8, so if you could somehow get Shelden Williams and Maurice Ager at #12 and #15, respectively, that would potentially go a long way towards filling two big voids on the Rockets roster. I just do not think Shelden Williams will slip that far.

I certainly have no idea where the Rockets will go in the first-round. However, in watching D-Wade, Josh Howard, Boris Diaw and Tayshaun Prince in this year's playoffs, I know that the Rockets are desperate need of some athleticism and length. As such, I do not see the Rockets taking Redick, despite the obvious help that his shooting could bring (if he was left wide open on a routine basis). Also, from hearing JVG on the radio a couple of times this week, it sounds like he has the same concerns with respect to the size of his current guards. JVG made a couple of comments about the lack of height present in David Wesley, Rafer Alston and Luther Head, which makes me think that Randy Foye, a 6'2" 2-guard, is not a possibility. My guess is that the Rockets will take one of Brewer, Carney or Gay, depending on who is available, and I think that all three will turn out to be better NBA players than J. J. Redick. Use the Mid-Level Exception to sign some shooting help (Tony Delk, Eddie House, DeShawn Stevenson, Richie Frahm) and maybe a backup PG (Speedy Claxton).

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

If Brandon Roy slips to the Rockets, I will sacrifice a goat to the gods as a gesture of immeasurable gratitude. Assuming Roy is gone, if Marcus Williams is there at No. 8, you've got to take him. Neither of those guys will be there at 12.

Shelden Williams will be awful; he's been the most overrated player in the country the last two years. Plus, in typical Hawk fashion, word is that Atlanta has already promised him he's their guy.

I'd be shocked if Adam Marxison is still around, but I don't think he's the best fit for Houston. He's no Larry Bird.

Gay has no heart. I will scream if the Rockets pick him.

Foye will be a fine guard in the league, but not worthy of a top fifteen pick.

You know where I stand on Redick. Happy Hour on him!

Thu Jun 22, 02:57:00 PM  
Blogger Scott said...

On few things do the minds behind H-Town Sports unanimously agree, but it is quite obvious that J. J. Redick turns out to be a star in the NBA, we'll all three be eating a Shavlik Randolph sized plate of crow. Regardless, I'm not saving any room in my stomach, as it is quite obvious that Redick will be eaten alive by NBA defenders.

I'm not a huge fan of The Landlord, but I think he could be a Dale Davis type NBA player (8 points, 12 boards, 2 blocks per game). That would render him a tremendous upgrade in the Rockets frontcourt.

Thu Jun 22, 03:18:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home