H-Town Sports

Houston Sports Blog - Real sports cities have TWO Conference USA teams

Monday, June 05, 2006

ROOSTER TO ROUND ROCK! I repeat, ROOSTER TO ROUND ROCK!

Pardon the delay in posting this, but the greatest news possible for all Astros fans broke around 6 p.m. on Friday evening. Mike Gallo is no longer on a major league roster. There are so many hilarious quotes from The Rooster in this Chronicle report that I can't possibly do them justice. Suffice to say that he thinks he is markedly better than what the statistics have shown him to be. Apparently, he somehow believes that righties posting a .509 average against him, while his principal "fodder" (a/k/a left-handed hitters) hit "only" .370 against him is a misleading statistic. I haven't seen that sort of self-aggrandizing delusion since Heaven's Gate.

Regardless, I cannot put into words the joy I felt when Scott sent the text message that made me tune into AM radio immediately on Friday evening: "Gallo Gone." Once I received confirmation that he had indeed been optioned down (granted, I was hoping that he'd been traded to the Cards for a slightly used set of Franklin batting gloves), I finally felt like I hadn't been screaming to a brick wall lo these many seasons. Kudos, Tim Purpura. You should win Executive of the Year for this move.

Of course, the 'Stros proceeded to get swept by the hapless Reds, but even that cannot dim my excitement over knowing that Gallo won't be around to ruin any more games for Astros fans. Excelsior!

1 Comments:

Blogger Scott said...

This is the brightest Houston sports moment since Moochie Norris was traded away (again). On a darker note, Gallo hurled 1 1/3 scoreless frames for the Express Sunday night, allowing just one hit. Will the Rooster's confident prophecy come true? No word on the Express' website about the impact of Gallo's return on ticket sales.

On a selfish aside, I'd like to mention that Gallo is gone, Ausmus was moved up to the two-slot and Everett has been benched. T-Poo and Scrap Iron read The Blog?

Mon Jun 05, 11:45:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home