H-Town Sports

Houston Sports Blog - Real sports cities have TWO Conference USA teams

Wednesday, May 31, 2006

PSSSSSSTTT! The Rocket Is Coming Back!

After Newsday broke the story that Roger Clemens had agreed to sign with the 'Stros yesterday afternoon, both the club and his agents issued strong denials that any such deal had been made. After I changed my pants, I spent the rest of the night feverishly watching ESPN, praying for a morsel of new information. Although Peter Gammons seemed to think that such a signing would become official in 48 hours, I still didn't have the confirmation I so desperately needed. Until this morning's Chronicle, that is:

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/3916526.html

In the glorious afterglow of last night's inspirational win over the Cards, Andy Pettitte had this to say:

"Before (Tuesday), like I said, I had no clue what's going on," Pettitte said. "I've been talking to Rog. I'll leave it up to him to let him share whatever he's going to share whenever it's time to share. Before, when you all would ask me, I didn't know anything. I do know now. But again, it's not my place to say anything about that anyway."

After I read that, I had to change my knickers again. To paraphrase George Costanza, "HE'S BACK, BABY!" Obviously, the rotation has just improved dramatically. But the Katy Rocket's return will be felt far more than every fifth day. Watch for him to whip our pathetic middle relief into shape with a series of head games and negative physical reinforcement. Then watch for the first World Series title to arrive in Houston around October of 2006. Finally, be ready for he and Lefty to get married on top of a mountain, with flutes playing and trombones and flowers and garlands of fresh herbs. And they will dance...until the sun rises! And then their children will form a family band, and they will tour the countryside, and the Yankees, Red Sox, and Rangers won't be invited!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home