H-Town Sports

Houston Sports Blog - Real sports cities have TWO Conference USA teams

Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Houston v. Dallas--2002 All Over Again?

Anyone who claims to be a fan of the Texans remembers September 8, 2002 with blinding joy. On that hallowed date, the expansion Houston Texans defeated the hated, arrogant, despicable, evil, probably-push-toddlers-and-the-elderly-down-stairs Dallas Cowboys 19-10 in the franchise's first game. I had the good fortune to be at Reliant that wonderful Sunday night, and those memories sustained me through the remainder of the 2002 campaign, including the worst football game I ever witnessed on any level (against the Jon Kitna-led Bengals, where the Texans lost 38-3). Years later, that victory over the Cokeboys even got me through the waking nightmare that was the 2005 season. Whenever things looked particularly bleak last year, I could always close my eyes, murmur "19-10," and go to my happy place. Even now, mere mention of that score is one of the few things in this world that is sure to bring a smile to my face regardless of the situation. [Not to belabor the point, but "41-38" and/or "Texas Longhorns, 2005 National Champions" are two more things that will get me to forget my troubles in an instant.]

Four years later, the Texans shall once again face Satan's Team on Sunday. And once again, I'll be there to lend my support in person. [NOTE--I fully expect to be beaten within an inch of my life and/or repeatedly doused in beer by dozens of the jorts-and-Aikman jersey-wearing Dallas "faithful." Such are the sacrifices we make for the things we love.] Perhaps I'm a wee bit biased, but I like Kubiak & Company's chances at Texas Stadium. Dallas is coming off a soul-crushing loss to Philadelphia. They couldn't protect the statue that is Drew Bledsoe. They still employ the most divisive presence in all of professional sports. You know, the dude that egomaniac Bill Parcells won't even publicly reference by name. Now Dallas sits at 2-2, a mere game better than Texas' "other" team. This has "trap game" written all over it.

I see David Carr taking a beating, but still putting up good (not great) numbers. I see Eric Moulds having a huge game in response to the Dallas secondary focusing its attention on stopping Andre Johnson. I see the much-maligned Texans defense teeing off on Bledsoe to the point of injury and/or benching. And just to show how much I'm chugging the Kubiak Kool-Aid, try this on for size: I predict the Texans' running game will put forth its best statistical effort of the young season and account for at least one touchdown. I will refrain from calling a final score, but I'm calling a Texans win. Feel free to mock my fanaticism at will.

2 Comments:

Blogger Scott said...

Great post, at least from an entertainment perspective. I'm sure that monkeylust, or whatever my arch nemesis's name is, will chalk this up to my overdose of Haterade, but I'm not too confident in the Texans this week. The Cowboys have likely had their asses handed to them by the Tuna and will be ready to lay the wood. Until proven otherwise, I'm catergorizing the Texans' W over Miami up to the Dolphins' ineptitude rather than the Texans' progress. Nothing would be finer than to be proven wrong on Sunday.

Cowboys 42, Texans 20

Thu Oct 12, 11:37:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

How would one "categorize up" a win? I've heard of "chalking up," but "categorizing up?" I think some of that backwoods Kentucky upbringing is rearing its ugly head again.

Thu Oct 12, 02:48:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home