H-Town Sports

Houston Sports Blog - Real sports cities have TWO Conference USA teams

Friday, August 18, 2006

Desperate Times Call For Desperate Measures

This is the only justification I can see for the Cards signing Preston Wilson. You'd think LaRussa & Co. would know better after having seen P-Dub first hand several times this season. If the Cards are a drowning man, God just threw them a cinderblock.

***I realize I opined in this space at the outset of this season that Purpura's signing of Wilson would be the best free agent acquisition in all of MLB. I hereby declare that I should not be allowed to opine any more on matters relating to the positives of Preston Wilson.***

4 Comments:

Blogger Scott said...

If I'm the Cards, I'd rather have Rick Ankiel in RF. You have to think that Tony had little say in this deal; The Big Whiff is not exactly LaRussa's style of player.

Fri Aug 18, 03:24:00 PM  
Blogger Scott said...

Nice outing for Rice's own David Aardsma. He's given up a HR for each A in his last name and retired a batter for each M in his last name.

Fri Aug 18, 03:31:00 PM  
Blogger Scott said...

I'll take Lane (.629 OPS, 22 EBH in 238 AB) over Wilson (.714 OPS, 31 EBH in 390 AB). Plus, he's an upgrade defensively, and he's $3.5M cheaper. I'm in the minority, most likely, but I guess that makes me a 'Laner'.

Fri Aug 18, 04:23:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Figures... Wilson hits a HR in his first game.

Fri Aug 18, 06:14:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home